They will be ok, as long as they stay away from biking shorts. Lord please!
The post I did on black youth and 80s fashion has been very popular. The comments are interesting to say the least. Well, there is nothing like BAD RETRO. You know, when people think they are representing a period in history, but just look like a modern interpretation. If you are going to do 80s, you need to know 80s, youngin (DC slang…sorry). Inthe80s.com actually has a great database of clothing styles that could serve as a guide for all you wanna be preppies and jocks.
Here are some 80s fashion staples…
- Wearing a sweater tied around your neck – ” Often worn over an Izod button down oxford, over an Izod polo shirt with the collar turned up”
- Satin Jackets – Shiny jackets that buttoned down the front. Collar and wristbands always had two stripes
- WigWams/Slouch Socks – Baggy socks worn by females, worn layered in various colors
- Adidas – White, always high-tops. Shell toed Adidas were popular with the hip hop community (See Run DMC)
- Hair Bows – “A headband with a big bow on it worn to the side like Madonna in the Material Girl video. Girls usually made their hair big and frizzy to cover up the strap so that only the bow would stick out.”
- Asymmetrical Haircuts – (See “Mushroom cut” and Salt n’ Peppa, Push it Era)
- Name Earrings – Big earrings worn with your name or boyfriends name in them. (See Door Knockers)
What 80s fashions do you love???