I love this. Critics have been nothing but critical of President Obama from day one, but they can’t stop him from having some fun. He has charisma and a personality (something one candidate in the Republican field can’t seem to find or make up his mind about). Take notes people. It’s called like-ability.
“I’m President Barack Obama, and I, too, would like to Slow Jam the News,” said Obama. Good Job, Mr. President. Kudos to the Roots and Jimmy Fallon as well!!!
This video will get millions of views and make people aware of what is going on with student loan funding, Pell grants and the potential rise in interest rates. Many of the viewers will be young people who don’t follow politics. They will be able to easily understand why this is a pocket-book issue of them and how it impacts their future. Obama needs to see huge youth vote numbers to win in November. I believe this was a smart move for him.
If it’s ok for Santorum to take news crews with him on a hunting trip and Gingrich to talk about building a colony on the moon, I really dare crazy Right wing folks to have a problem with Barack Obama using some humor to get a serious point across to young people.
If you don’t get it, you may not be part of the intended audience.
I didn’t get into the Casey Anthony Trial too much. I thought it was a tragedy on many different levels, and the media circus just turned me off. I cared, but there are hundred of children who are killed, molested, etc. everyday and no one is putting their stories on the cover of magazines, or dedicating whole broadcasts to their memory. American Hypocrisy…we’re all guilty.
Anyway. Every child is precious. That’s my point.
Now…on the Casey Anthony Trial, I have these points;
- Casey Anthony Defense Attorney Flips Off Media Following Verdict – BWAHAHAHAH! Too funny.
- If you say the defendant was a party girl, then you must have proof that will stand up against a whole gang of witnesses who say she was a good mother. You have to have proof. Remember. Law school and all. Sigh…
- I believe the allegations of sexual molestation against George Anthony. I think the grandfather may have been touching Caylee. Don’t be fooled by old age and a suit people. I think some sick shit was going on that family. Casey needs some help. Remember victims are more prone to stay victims. Also, you never know what a woman will do to protect her child. Some slave women would rather kill their children than let them be taken. You think a woman who’d been molested and was mentally disturbed wouldn’t consider taking her child’s life instead of seeing her be abused?
- Why didn’t the prosecutor go for manslaughter in the first place?
- Why was the prosecutor laughing during the closing arguments? I KNOW that didn’t help his case in the eyes of the jury.
- Who paid for Casey Anthony’s defense? I know old boy was expensive.
- Did prosecutor Ashton think he was going to make a name for himself with this case? You know the answer is yes.
- Oh, I was cracking up when the judge called the guy up to the front who flipped bird. That was funny.
- Why are people even wondering what would have happened if she was black? This is not the O.J. Trail, people! There have been a lot of public cases of white women killing their kids. Some go to jail, some have gotten off on mental illness. This is not new. There is racism in America, and we know this. Thank goodness we didn’t have to witness a black family in this particular drama.
- I think Nancy Grace has reached a new level of bitch-assed-ness? She is just a pundit for profit, in my opinion. I really don’t think she genuinely cares. Think of all the people she really could help. Nope, just a TV personality. I don’t know why people expect her to be on the level of a real lawyer who is practicing the law.
Well, that’s all I have to say about that. What do you guys think?
I’m confused. I know that all the potential Republican candidates are basically competing on the airwaves to see who can bash Obama best. However, Michele Bachmann has tacked on some promises to her usual President bashing in this video that I’m don’t think she intends to keep.
“This president has failed the Hispanic community. He has failed the African-American community,” she said. “He has failed us all when it comes to jobs.” Um, just because your intern looked up some statistics online, does mean you understand the impact of joblessness in minority communities.
- Is this how she appeals to Blacks and Latinos? I guess we’re dumb enough to just believe numbers and not consider the context of our lives or who’s talking, huh?
- Does she really, really intend to be a jobs champion for Blacks and Latinos?
- Is equality and job creation in minority communities what the Tea Party has been fighting for all this time? If so (you know that’s not so) that message has not been clear at all.
I’m very confused. Is she running for President of the USA or President of the NAACP? Is she trying to present at the next Alma Awards? Please!! People will say anything to get a vote.
Just feeling nostalgic today. How many of you used to rock medallions like these in the 80s? Don’t lie. You had one…with big fat wooden beads on it too. I call it the “Pre-Bling Black Consciousness Revival Period”. My mom used to make them and sell them at local events. Takes me back. Not Crafty? You can buy one on etsy.
I wonder if this would be considered acceptable workplace jewelry.
Finish this sentence for me, people: “Psychologists told Black People to stop spanking their kids and now…” You can leave a comment below.
Why do I ask? Crazy “youngins” on the metro this morning.
If you live in DC, you know that African-American kids can act a dignified fool on the metro trains. I blame this on the fact that many black parents stopped spanking their kids and strayed from the time-tested methods of discipline that worked for our foremothers and forefathers.
Do you think Martin Luther King was put in time out? Did Ruby Dee and Ossie Davis have to sit there and think about what they’d done…and then write a letter to their victim as punishment? I would venture to say that many a famous negro of yesteryear received proper spankings. I’m not talking extension cords, big wooden boards, and other out of the ordinary stuff. I’m not talking about anything that leaves bruises or welts. Spanking with a hand or belt, NOT beatings. You can disagree with me and if you think it’s abuse, you’re entitled to your opinion. As am I.
“Baby Momma” is not a job title. It should not be the period at the end of your life’s run-on sentence. I don’t care if your Baby Daddy is Lil Wayne and you’re standing at Rikers Island today with arms wide open and a fresh weave (all 3…I mean 4 of yall…I think…hell I don’t know how many chicks have had Lil Wayne’s kids!).
I know a whole lot of strong single moms out there who are not just “baby mommas”. They are working professionals, artists, spiritual sages, supportive friends, and so much more. I’m seeing a wave on TV and online (blogs mostly) where black women who have had babies by male stars are simply referred to as “So-in-so’s Baby Momma”. Not the “Girlfriend” or “Ex-girlfriend”. Not the “Mother of his child”. No acknowledgement of the fact that some of these women are stars in their own right, business owners, etc. I take issue with this because we live in an aspirational society where we see black girls striving to be video vixens. I’m talking “stand there and shake you butt” chicks, not I have a “M.F.A in Dance from Howard” professional dancers. (I can respect strippers more than video models because they have a regular gig and can work a 40 hour week.) Will young girls looking for acceptance and wanting the fame decide that being the “Baby Momma” of some notable man is the new route to stardom?
Just because you get a check doesn’t make it a job. Things happen. A lot of women are single moms, but most of the ones I know would not suggest someone take on that role in an effort to come up in the world. It’s not different than aspiring to win the lottery or play for the NBA…most that try won’t win and most try won’t play.
Other things that aren’t job titles:
- BOSS – Said the way Fantasia’s brother says it. If you don’t have employees on a payroll, you’re not a boss
- Video Vixen – Not the same as a model
- Rapper – If you are over the age of 40 and you’re not legend in the game. It could be a hobby, though.
Filed under african american, black, black women, celebrity, children, culture, family, opinion, relationships, sex, women, youth
Shout out to the Crouch Quadruplets of Danbury, Connecticut. Kenny, Martina, Ray and Carol Crouch collectively applied to more than 30 colleges, and not to all the same places. All 4 were happy when they signed on the Yale admissions website, one by one, and found out that all 4 quadruplets had been admitted to the Class of 2014! You know their mom and dad were ecstatic.
Their class rankings range from 13 out of a class of 632 (Kenny) to 46 (Martina) — and they have sky-high SAT scores (including Carol’s perfect 800 on the verbal part of that exam).
They haven’t made the decision to choose Yale yet. They have until May 1. Financial aid will be key to their decision, since they do not want to burden their parents.
Source: NY Times
In a 10-5 party line vote last week, the BoE rammed through a vast number of changes to the Texas state history standards, all of which conform to the über-far-right’s twisted view of reality. In these new standards, Hispanics are ignored, Black Panthers are added to provide balance to the kids learning about Martin Luther King, Jr., and get this, Thomas Jefferson was removed*. discovermagazine.com
If you’re a parent, you should be aware that a movement is going on that is dedicated to changing your child’s textbooks. Most parents trust that their local school districts are buying books that accurately represent american history and social studies in a way that is not significantly biased by any view, let alone ultra-conservative or ultra-liberial. Well, that may not be the case. You might be very concerned if you look through your child’s history books. I would encourage you to take a look at this news and then find out if your child’s textbooks have been affected. Watch this Video from CNN for details.
From AC360 - In Texas today, the state’s board of education approved a new social studies curriculum that conservatives say is meant to correct for a liberal bias among the teachers who initially drafted the standards. The vote came after days of charged debate.
Out: Calling the U.S. government “Democratic”. In: Calling it a “Constitutional Republic.” Also out: too much talk about Thomas Jefferson and the enlightenment, which stressed reasoning and science over blind faith. Also In: More recognition of the contributions of religious leaders, like Moses.
All of this matters, because with almost five million students in Texas, the state buys a lot of textbooks that could determine what publishers put out for America’s other school children. Though, in this digital age, that is not as big of a concern as in past years.
Filed under activism, children, civil rights, community, government, history, news, politics, society, student, youth
I posted about this back in 2007 when the story came out. I know most of you have seen the video of the teacher who thought that using “Nigga” was different than the “er” version. I must admit…he did have one or two valid points. It was also painful and hilarious at the same time. That must be why the folks at the Boondocks adapted the story and made Riley the victim. Haven’t seen these two videos…here ya go.
“Can a nigga borrow a pencil?!?” That’s the quote of the night, folks. Black people, we really need to consider retiring the n-word. Mixed signals.
Black Barbie Doll = $3.00. White Barbie Doll = $5.93. Why am I’m not surprised. Oh Walmart…you know better than this. Thanks to the folks at FunkyJunk.com for posting out this Walmart Fail. Guanabee.com: “It was uploaded by a woman from Louisiana who says she took it at her local Wal-Mart.” Kids, even your toys know it’s not a post-racial America. If that’s not subliminal…